Monday, February 21, 2011

The beginning

This weekend, I came to San Francisco to visit with some of my best friends from college.  Our first stop Saturday morning was Dynamo Donuts.  I've wanted to go for years and I was finally getting the chance.  With six donuts and three cups of Four Barrel coffee in our hands, we headed to Dolores Park to enjoy the beautiful day and indulge in our breakfast.  I opened the box, peered down, and took a bite of the Meyer Lemon Huckleberry donut before passing it along to be finished by some of my favorite foodies.
The first delicious donut was followed by Spiced Chocolate, Vanilla Bean, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Rose, and finally the famous Maple Bacon Apple.  My friends laughed as I described the smells and tastes and then agonized over which one to try next.  We then started planning our grocery list for the basil-arugula pesto and marinara meatball sandwiches we would be making the next day.  The biggest decision was deciding where to get the fresh, crusty bread we would need.  In all the excitement, I exclaimed I was dropping out of medical school to move to SF and become a food critic.  Everyone laughed but the idea stuck and Food Rx was born.

I have two passions in life: medicine and food.  As a first year medical student, medicine is only beginning to become a reality.  I've spent years studying basic science, volunteering for numerous health-related organizations, and preparing myself to apply to medical school.  Now that I am finally here, I am finally learning about stuff that matters: how the body works, how disease disrupts these normal processes, and how to take care of patients suffering from those very diseases. 

But we can't forget about the importance of food.  I developed a taste for quality food at a young age.  Whenever I brought home good grades, my parents would take me to my favorite restaurant.  I almost always chose a local Italian eatery that served the most delicious fried calamari and chocolate souffle (still two of my favorites).  Nowadays, food is still associated with only the best memories.  A good meal makes anyone and everyone happy.  Whether it's cooking with friends or searching for a new restaurant to try, food is an escape and it's what keeps me sane in the crazy world of med school. 

I hope to use this blog to explore my passion for food and medicine.  I'll share recipes, menus, school happenings, and patient stories and I hope you'll take the time to read them.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. You guys ate food without me??? Hahaha great idea lizzybeth. Yet another awesome distraction from boards!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write more! Or did you stop eating? Write more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bored!!! I agree with Jac! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so excited to read more! <3 really glad you've started this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ready for the second post! Eat something to make me jealous :)

    ReplyDelete