Monday was yet another quiz day. I was really worried about this one and I have no idea why. Maybe it was all the male and female hormone cycles I had to learn or the dozens of causes of meningitis. (Side note: always cook your pork because if you ingest eggs infected by a little parasite called taenia solium you are in a lot of trouble!). Anyways, it could also be the fact that this was the second to last quiz marking the near end of my first year and I am beginning to realize how quickly life is passing me by.
But the point is, when I worry, I bake. Still trying to use my mixer in every way, shape and form, I decided to make pizza. I've never made pizza dough. The pizza dough at Trader Joe's is just so ridiculously convenient and inexpensive that I never feel the need to mix, knead, and proof dough. Especially when yeast can be so finicky. However, I was too excited to use the dough attachment for the mixer. And so, I made pizza dough using Tyler Florence's recipe. The mixer made a beautiful dough (yes, I thought it was beautiful). I left it in the bowl, covered it with a towel, and put it in a warm place to rise. After an hour, nothing was happening and I had to get to class. So, I wrapped it in a blanket, put it in the oven, and hoped for the best. Two hours later, I had my roommate take the dough out and put it in the fridge. When I came home, the dough had doubled in size and was gorgeous!
Moving on to taste, the dough made a great pizza. It was a little salty, but for the sweetness of the toppings, the two worked well together. Since I like combining sweet and savory, the next time I make the pizza I plan on adding prosciutto and arugula. Either way, the pizza was delicious and I'll definitely be making it again.
Pizza Dough
Ingredients
1 package active dry yeast
1 t sugar
1 cup warm water
1 T salt
extra virgin olive oil
3 cups of flour (plus a little more for dusting)
Directions
1. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water; stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium; stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook. Mix until the dough gathers into a ball.
3. Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Once the dough is domed and spongy, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Divide the dough into three equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out. Roll dough out into desired size and thickness.
Fig and Ricotta Pizza, adapted from Eats Well With Others
Pizza Dough
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta
10-15 dried figs, cut into chunks
2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
A few slices of prosciutto
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 525.
2. In a small skillet, heat the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar until boiling. Simmer until thickened and reduced by half, about 3-5 minutes.
3. On the rolled out pizza, drizzle with olive oil. Spread the ricotta. Place a few slices of prosciutto on cheese. Sprinkle with dried figs and tomato pieces. Drizzle liberally with maple balsamic reduction. Put in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the bottom is light brown. Top with arugula dressed in olive oil and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment