I came here with two of my good friends from medical school, Kasey and Claire, and we are having a wonderful time. We arrived on Thursday and were already on a bus headed to Puerto Vallarta on Friday. I can never say no to some quality beach time.
| Mis amigas y yo |
| Chilaquiles with eggs (aka tortilla chips drowned in salsa, cheese and cream) with a cup of oh so fresh coffee. |
| Mole. Need I say more? |
| A refreshing beach snack of mangos and jicama with chile and limes. |
I promise I came to Guadalajara to study Spanish. I'm taking intermediate grammar and medical Spanish courses for four hours every day. The classes are incredibly fast paced but the teachers are amazing! By the end of the program, it's pretty realistic to say that I will be able to do an entire history, exam, and assessment in Spanish. After class, we walk back to our house for lunch. Lunch is quite the event here since it is the most important meal of the day. It's not unusual to have three courses, all washed down with aguas frescas. All of our weekday meals are prepared by Marisol who is essentially the woman who runs the entire household. There are 5 students staying here and she certainly has her hands full, but her meals never disappoint. Everyone speaks Spanish and are continually patient as we learn to speak (and understand) Spanish.
After lunch, we rush back to campus so we can catch our rides to clinic. Claire and I are at the same clinic. We've only seen a few patients so far, but it's been fun listening to the patients describe their symptoms and watching the doctor interact with her patients. Medicine is more casual and friendly here. The patient is seen in the doctor's office, complete with the doctor's desk and examining table. Our doctor teaches UAG medical students and seems excited to start working with us. Next week the UAG medical students will no longer be at clinic and our doctor is going to be relying on us to complete patient intake.
This weekend we plan on exploring downtown Guadalajara, hunting down tortas ahogadas, and going on a tequila tasting tour. It's going to be an awesome few weeks. Adios!!
No comments:
Post a Comment