Sunday, May 29, 2011

Amoebas Amigas

Since I've been in Mexico, I've felt a little off.  It was never bad enough to stop me from doing anything, but it's been a nuisance.  Finally after an abdominal cramp that prevented me from finishing our morning 30 minute run, I decided it was time to talk to the doctor that Claire and I work with at clinic.  Following a brief history and targeted abdominal exam, she told me I had amoebas.  Immediately, we all started joking about the amoebas amigas en mi estomago.  The doctor did a little dance and we laughed about the antro (aka dance club) in my stomach.  She told me not to worry and how could I when I left the doctor thinking about dancing amoebas amigas in my stomach.  Not gonna lie, those amoebas picked a pretty tasty GI tract to hang out in.

Honestly, I find it pretty hilarious.  If you know me at all, you know that I love parasites and almost all things microbiology.  Combined with a continual game of chance that I play with my meals, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Being a medical student, of course I'm going to think about everything it could be.  On my differential are Entamoeba Histolytica and Giardia Intestinalis.  However, it doesn't really matter what it is.  I have parasites.

So, today begins my 3 day bid regimen of a lovely anti-protozoal agent, Nitazoxanide.  Here's to hoping the drug doesn't kill me before the amoebas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment